Monday, January 11, 2010

IN PRAISE OF CELL GROUPS BECAUSE OF LONG LASTING FRIENDSHIPS (A RESPONSE)

Proverbs 27:9
Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart,
and the pleasantness of one’s friend springs from his earnest counsel.

Further to my post of Saturday (9 Jan 10), here is a response from an ex-cell member (not the family who visited us in Auckland):

"Hi Pastor,

Thanks for the reflection. Indeed, this (Jurong cell) is the best group that we ever had. Members X, Y, your family and us; despite not meeting on a regular basis, still, the intimacy is always there. Even as we meet once a year, within minutes, we could start talking endlessly. There are numerous topics or subjects that we can speak on and on and on; and we are also not fearful of offending each other.

As a matter of fact, there is no barrier among ourselves; considering the different economic background or “status”…… . The fact is that we have been through those challenging moments as a cell and as a body, we have been able to see each other through during those difficult moments.

Most of all, it is the fact that we are called Christian brothers and sisters; with a common FATHER whom we call, that bind us together.

Even in my past cell group in Church A, the same goes to the very first cell that we were in. Those were the good times, but due to some unpleasant situation, the friendship has not been able to develop at a level as we are.

As for my current cell, the relationship is rather superficial despite being together for 3 years. I often try to gather the group together for events / outings but response is weak with at most 40% turn up rate only.

Back to our “Jurong Cell”, I must thank you for taking the time and effort in spending time with us before your departure to NZ.

At that time, I count it a privilege to have a cell lead by you – a Pastor. Importantly, it was your LOVE shown when leading us in the group; your patience in giving me the chance to play the guitar in the group….. these, I never forget.

This friendship I have; I dare not to take it for granted and will always give priority whenever there is a chance to meet. I believe there will be more tests ahead with regards to our friendship within this group but I have all the Faith that we will not be divided.

On a lighter note, sometimes I wonder what exactly is the chemistry within the group that gel us so well together !?!? :>)

I look forward to see you in Singapore."

May all of us be encouraged in persisting with discipleship in cell groups - sharpening one another and developing enduring friendships.

I hope to be able to share with all of us - after I chat with as many of my ex-cell members when I meet up with them again in Singapore - to ascertain what are some of the key ingredients that will help answer my friend's question "sometimes I wonder what exactly is the chemistry within the group that gel us so well together !?!?"

No comments: